The Meta family messenger is constantly evolving but most of its updates are nothing more than functions copied from Telegram . If you have experience with this client, you will surely have no problems creating your own community on WhatsApp.
Communities are one of the most important features released by WhatsApp in recent years. With personal chat threads and work messages, managing related groups in WhatsApp can get confusing. Communities bring all relevant groups together under one roof. Here’s how to set up and use Communities in WhatsApp.
Communities are not meant to replace WhatsApp groups. It depends on existing groups and brings together related groups under one big group. Before showing you how to create a WhatsApp community, let’s try to understand its use.
What is the WhatsApp Community
Community is a collection of related groups in WhatsApp. As an administrator, you don’t need to manage different groups in WhatsApp. You can create a community and move all relevant groups into one place. For example, the administrator can create a community to bring all groups together if you have different school groups for different subjects.
Let’s say you have a charity event planned, a charity party or a Halloween night in the neighborhood. In this case, a WhatsApp community makes it easier to communicate with group members on the go. WhatsApp Community is available on Android, iPhone and desktop. Let’s see how it works.
Create a community on iPhone
First you need to install the latest version of the WhatsApp application from the App Store.
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Click on Communitybelow .
- Click on ” New Community“.
- Give a relevant name and description and set a profile picture. You can also use an emoji or sticker as a community image. Press Nextto continue.
- You can create a new group for your community or choose from existing groups you’re an admin of. Select Add.
- Now select all community groups and click “ Create” in the upper right corner.
- Done! You have successfully created a community on WhatsApp. You can check all groups and the default ad group in the Community tab.
You can add up to 50 groups and 5000 members to a community announcement group. Each community member can ask the admin to join another group. WhatsApp automatically creates an announcement group for community admins to send messages to all members.
Create a community on Android
- Start WhatsApp and click on the community icon at the top right.
- Click on Create a community.
- Select Get Started.
- Choose an image, a name and enter a description.
- Click on the arrow at the bottom right to continue.
- Create a new group or add the group to an existing community. At least one group is required to create a community.
- Click the tick symbol at the bottom right to confirm.
By default, the user becomes the community admin on WhatsApp. You can always give the same administration rights to other community members.
Create a desktop community
Let’s create a WhatsApp community on the desktop. You need to be running the latest available version of WhatsApp on Windows or Mac. To use WhatsApp Web you need to open WhatsApp Settings, go to connected devices and scan the QR code you find on the Windows or Mac app or directly on the website from website.whatsapp.com/ .
Once your WhatsApp is connected to your PC, follow these steps:
- Click on the Community icon at the top.
- Now select the arrow at the bottom center in the left column.
- On the following page, select CREATE A COMMUNITY.
- Again, you’ll need to set your community image, name, and description.
- Insert the community into existing groups or create a new one to add a community.
- Proceed by clicking the checkmark below to create a WhatsApp community.
Invite contacts to a WhatsApp community
After creating a WhatsApp community, you can easily create an invite link and add more members. Here are the steps:
- Open WhatsApp and enter Community.
- Select the desired community.
- Click on ” View Members“.
- Choose the option ” Invite to community via link“.
You can send a link to the community via WhatsApp, copy the link or even generate a QR code for others to join.
Anyone with WhatsApp can follow the link to join your community. Only share it with people you trust or want to invite to the community. If you notice that irrelevant members join the community via a shared link, you can reset the link from the same menu.
Make a community member an admin
It’s a good idea to share admin duties with other people to keep community members informed in your absence. Here’s how to make any member a WhatsApp community admin:
- Open in your WhatsApp community.
- Select “View Members”.
- Check the list of members and select a contact.
- Click on “ Make admin” and share the admin rights.
You can remove the person from the community from the same menu.
Finally a more fluid communication
Although communities are something we have already seen on Telegram, there is no doubt that it is also very convenient to have them on the most used messenger in the world. Now you no longer need to switch between groups to share important messages and announcements. You can create a community and keep everyone informed of the latest updates.