When creating a business page on Facebook, it is imperative to determine its category. This is a very important issue that cannot be ignored. A lot depends on it. In this review, we will consider the importance of defining a category, and how to do it correctly.
- What you need to know about page categories
- Choosing a category when creating a page
- Change page category
- What is the importance of categories
- What to do if category selection is not available
What you need to know about page categories
Business pages, unlike personal profiles or communities, have more settings. All of them are necessary for effective business promotion.
Page category is the main parameter that determines the direction of the store. Each new visitor can find out the type of activity of the page, it is indicated immediately under its name.
In 2020, Facebook has undergone dramatic changes – the interface has changed. Along with the design, many functions have undergone modification. If you created a business page before the update, then the selected category has remained unchanged. However, things look a little different for new users.
- before the update, the pages were shared like this: community, public figure, local business, brand. And they could add clarification. Now everything has changed;
- the availability of fields for filling in information (address, visit and working hours) used to depend on the choice of category. After the update, all these fields are active by default. And the functions for managing tabs and sections are available in the “Templates” menu;
- the new version of the site requires you to enter a subgroup manually, but you must select it from the list.
Choosing a category when creating a page
If you are just creating a business page, then to select a category, you must perform the following steps:
- Find the “+” sign at the top right and click on it.
- Select the “Page” section. A new window for creating a business page will appear.
- The window is divided into two parts. On the left are the fields that must be filled out; on the right – how users will see the page. To see how the page will look on different devices, you can click the switch button (located at the top right).
- Specify the name of the store. Then move on to the next line.
- Start typing the first letters of a kind of activity (shop, cafe, not a company). The system will give you a list of categories, among which you need to choose the appropriate one.
- At this stage, you can add a short description of the page (or do it later).
- Click on the “Create Page” button.
Please note : you can specify any category, but if it is not in the list, Facebook will reject the creation of the page. For this reason, it is better to choose from the proposed options.
Important : the category that is indicated first is considered the main one. This is what visitors to the page will see. In addition to it, you can specify two more additional ones to more accurately describe the occupation. You can select them from the options offered by the system. Subcategories can be seen in the “Information” block.
Change page category
If you have long been registered on Facebook as the owner of a business page and now want to change its category, then you can do this at any time.
Important : Changing page information is available only to the account owner or administrator. Adding additional subcategories is limited – no more than two.
- Go to your business page.
- On the left side of the screen, find the “Page Management” section.
- Find the line “Edit”.
- Change or add information in the “Categories” field. If you want to delete one of the categories, just click on the cross next to it.
Important : If only one category is specified, it is not possible to delete it. First you need to add a new one, and only then remove the unnecessary one.
What is the importance of categories
The tasks that the page category performs:
- Makes it easier to search on Facebook. To do this, you need to use the filter: in addition to the “Page”, a selection by category is available;
- Facebook will recommend your page to users who are interested in similar topics, products or services;
- your company will be visible to users who have launched a geolocation search. But for this you need to correctly make a mark on the map.
What to do if category selection is not available
List of the most popular questions that arise after updating the interface:
- Why can’t I select the category I need?
- Facebook does not allow you to choose the right direction of activity. What is the reason?
- What if there is no suitable category in the list?
Apparently, the reason lies in the flaw in the new version. And the main question that business account owners have is what categories of the page there are. There is no information about this list anywhere.
Users can only hope that all the flaws will be corrected in the very near future. And for those who cannot choose the appropriate category, there is only one solution – to specify the general parameters “Not a company”, “Local services”, “Purchase and retail trade”.
You can change the category at any time when new characteristics become available.
Another innovation that appeared in the new version of Facebook: page design options can now be changed in the “Templates” menu.
To do this, do the following:
- Open page.
- Go to the “Page Settings” section, they are located on the left.
- Select the line “Templates and tabs”.
- Click on the “Change” button, which is located with the current template.
- Here you can see previously available subgroups “Public figure”, “Company”, “Restaurants and cafes”. Here you can also choose a new format “VideoPage” – it is suitable for video publications. If you hesitate with the choice, then indicate “Standard”.
- Call to action buttons, information fields, and tabs vary depending on the template you choo